Thursday, January 27, 2022

Garden Planning with Frances Hodgson Burnett

 


This year, I intend to shake things up in my garden just a little bit. I guess I have been inspired by a book I have been reading - Unearthing The Secret Garden. Marta McDowell has done a marvelous job of giving the reader a glimpse into the life of Mrs. Burnett, especially of her love of nature's beauty and abundance that in turn inspired the massive success of The Secret Garden (available in about any form you like, even a movie of the same name starring Margaret O'Brien).

Here are only some of the trees and plants that Mrs. Burnett enjoyed and that may have inspired her books:

  • Violets
  • Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Indian Corn
  • Dahlias
  • Chestnut Trees
  • American Linden
  • Maple Trees
  • Delphiniums
  • Crocuses
  • Oak Trees
  • Petunias
  • Roses
  • Snowdrops
  • Crotons
  • Poppies
  • Snapdragons
  • Primrose
  • English Bluebells
  • Tulips
  • Hyacinths
  • Daffodils
  • Clematis
  • Jasmine
  • Larkspur
  • Anemones
  • Marigolds
  • Lilac
  • Lilies of all sorts
  • Sunflowers

I have watched lots of gardening videos online featuring the best in the practice from Wales to the southern United States. These people have been working outside to prepare for spring and it's an appealing process right now. But, since winter, with its accompanying snow and cold, is in full force here in the north, I am in planning mode. That's all well and good for me because it gives me the opportunity to take time to rest and to dream, and plan, for a different or better garden.

Here's where Frances Hodgson Burnett and The Secret Garden come in. My plan is to incorporate more beauty and possibly more herbal health into my garden.

As far as size goes, I don't plan to increase anything in that area. However, I do intend to make the most of the space that I do have. After all, I do not have the luxury of being able to pay a gardener to help me. 

I have four small beds in the back of the house, mostly under pine trees with pheasant pens providing additional shade, that the previous owner had planted. In one of the beds, is a large amount of Yarrow which is quickly taking over the entire area. I will keep some of the Yarrow (it's a great ground cover as well as useful in homeopathic medicine for blood clotting). I would like to pop in some California Poppies (useful for a relaxing tea and other purposes), a bit of Calendula (use in tea, balms, etc.), and maybe a mint like Bea Balm along with some Sage.

The other beds are filled with lovely flowers such as Roses, various Lilies, herbs, and even Asparagus and Chives. I just need to do some weeding to clean up the beds. 

Out front, I have Echinacea, Roses, wild violets, and other flowers that I still have not identified. Again, a heavy weeding and cleaning will do wonders there. I think I will put in a few Nasturtiums to add a pop of color and variety - and it's a blessing that the sun shines nicely in that area.

As for the actual vegetable garden area, I already have Lavender, Bee Balm, Lemon Balm, Chives, Bergamot, and Sage. Last year I put in some Thyme, but it would take a great miracle for any Thyme to reseed and come up given the cold winters. This year I intend to pop in some Basil and Calendula, along with some Marigolds here and there. 

Shall we talk about Sunflowers? The flowers below are a type of sunflower; they grow low to the ground, however. What variety are they? I don't know. They were there in the beds in front of the house when we moved here and I will be sure to keep them. They bloom every year and are a beautiful perennial.


I will put tall sunflowers someplace where they won't shade my sun loving veggies and/or flowers.

Hopefully, I will have a freshened up garden space(s) that I will enjoy. When planning your own beautiful garden, try to pick plants that you enjoy, be they edible or not. I chose to include mostly plants and flowers that are culinary and/or medicinal. You might just want lovely plants that bring you joy.

That's the largest blessing from gardening - the joy that you inevitably get from it. Wishing you the best season yet!



No comments: