Saturday, December 27, 2008

Saturday Scripture Speaks #4

"Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood." Revelation 22:14-15 (NIV)

I think the reason I've taken verses from Revelation these last few weeks to meditate upon is two-fold. I'm finishing with my reading through the Bible in one year AND I've been studying the book of Revelation with sermons given by Pastor John Courson.

These two verses are taken from the last chapter of the last book in the New Testament. If anyone has ever questioned my motives for talking to others about their sins (as well as talking to myself for mine), this sums it up. I desperately want those people to see that they cannot live in the muck and mire of what Jesus says is sin - yes, these are red letters in my Bible. Jesus calls those who remain in these sins DOGS! He says that these dogs cannot enter the new Jerusalem and be with God but remain outside - in the Hell provided for them. They'll want to get in to see God but can't.

I don't wish that on anyone. The good news is that you don't have to remain in sin. Jesus has already provided a way out of it, but you have to take the hand He offers - the free gift of Salvation and Forgiveness that He gives freely to those who will receive it.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16 (KJV)

No comments: