Wednesday, July 06, 2022

The Best Time to be a Proverbs 31 Woman

 


Proverbs 31 contains the sayings of King Lemuel as told to his sons. Verse 1 says that the king's mother taught them to him. Verses 1-9 contain the advice to the sons while verses 10-31 are the epilogue, also known as "The Wife of Noble Character". Verse 10 of Proverbs 31 asks who can find a wife of noble character. 

In today's society, no matter where you live, is that an easy task? I have three sons who are yet unmarried and I have to tell you that I pray a lot for them and for their future wives, if that is even an option anymore. That said, I know that there are a lot of Proverbs 31 women in the United States, but I feel that the numbers are dwindling. Still, there is hope.

So, with that in mind, I suggest that today is an excellent time to either become a wife of noble character or persevere in that Proverbs 31 woman role knowing that our time here on earth is short. We can be a light to the world by becoming a living example of what a righteous woman looks like.

A woman of noble character is one whom her husband (or family if not married) is proud. Her husband has full confidence in her. The Bible says that she brings him good all the days of her life. That's quite a statement. I think that's also hard to do, especially as we see the signs of Christ's return nearing. Things are getting ugly out there and sometimes it's easier to lash out at others, often our husbands, when we're down and out. However, we must remember to speak kindly about our men in front of others. We want to bring them good, not harm.

The Proverbs 31 woman also works with her hands to create clothing for her family. She sells things at the market to help bring an income to the family. She is not idle and she feeds her family well with what she has. In return, her children rise up and call her blessed, as does her husband. 

This woman also helps the needy outside of her own household. Rather than sit around with friends gossiping about others, she is working hard to help those who need it most, be it with food, shelter, or clothing. I bet she talks about Jesus to them because that is WHO they need most.

So, why do I think this is the best time to be a Proverbs 31 woman? Simply put, there are needs that must be met and people whose hearts God has made tender are ready to receive the help she can provide. Families are being torn apart but they don't have to be. You can be the glue that binds your own family and you can be a light and an example to other women who need to do the same.

Grocery costs these days have gone out of sight. Do you have a garden? Are you being wise (don't let the oil in your lamp go out by being idle) and putting up all that you can grow? A whole lot of people are warning of a coming food shortage or famine. If you do have a garden, let me urge you to can, freeze, or dehydrate all that you can for your own family's needs. If you truly think you have too much (think more than six month's supply or beyond - I aim for a year's worth), consider sharing with neighbors or extended family. 



In years past, I have dry canned some stuff. This year I am dry canning probably three or four times what I usually do. Like everyone else, I love rice and beans. I pressure can most of my dry beans so that they are readily available when needed. The rice, however, I dry can so bugs or moisture don't get into the plastic bags the rice comes in. I also dry can dehydrated herbs that I grow so they will stay fresher. I also dehydrate peppers and then dry can them as well.


Right now is still a good time to stock up on essentials. I'm not talking about hoarding but rather getting a supply of necessities and food items stocked for your family's use over the next several months up to a year's worth. Christians don't seem to stress the need to stockpile like they did back in the day. I think that's pretty sad. The Mormon church has been instructing their church members to stock up a year in advance for ages. It's a prudent thing to do. Why shouldn't we be doing the same? 

Look for sales in the stores. Stock up on what you need now, a little at a time if need be. When I go to the store, I often buy two instead of one of something I need and can't make or provide for myself. For you, this could be toiletries, over the counter medicines or supplements, household products like dish soap or laundry soap, or many food items (like rice) that you can't grow yourself. 

As for clothing, I don't expect we can all make our own. However, with inflation as high as it is you could look for used clothing at the thrift shops or garage sales. With garage sales, however, I find that many people think that they can get top dollar for their used stuff. Be careful. There are discount stores out there like B2 in Michigan that sell great new clothing at slashed prices. 

As times get more difficult, those who are unprepared will come knocking on the doors of those who have done their due diligence. Will we help them? I guess it depends on whether we have the extra to spare. Your own family should come first. 

I have thought a lot about the imminent coming of the rapture of the church to Heaven. If I have preserved too much food or stocked up on goods that I really didn't need, then perhaps someone who is "left behind" will come up on our home and will use what I have stockpiled. Maybe they will go into my bedroom and find my prayer journals and Bibles (I have a few different translations). Maybe they will read them before it will be illegal to do so and maybe a light will click on in their spirits. Maybe they will believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thus be saved.

Being a Proverbs 31 woman is not always an easy thing to do, but it is something in which to aspire. I hope you will begin preparing or continue toward preparing for what could very well be a difficult and trying time. 

Please be hopeful and fend off feelings of despair. God has not given us a spirit of fear but one of joy in knowing that, as things get darker and darker, the Light is coming soon.

No comments: