Monday, October 26, 2015

Menu Plan Monday - October 26


Happy Monday! I have taken the Meatless Monday challenge and will be going with that for the next month. I generally don't eat meat much any day of the week, but my family does. Boy, will they be surprised when they find it is missing each Monday. Or....maybe they will not notice because the food is so flavorful. That is what I'm aiming at, and this week's plan starts it off with a bang.

Crock-pot Vegetable Soup is easy to make and is full of wonderful flavors. I simply saute some chopped onions, carrots, garlic, and celery in a bit of olive oil. Put all of this in the crock-pot and add: a quart of vegetable stock and whatever vegetables I have handy in the freezer or pantry. A couple of white potatoes and/or sweet potatoes add flavor and texture. I have tons of dehydrated zucchini slices in the freezer (ensures that they don't go bad if I didn't get all of the moisture out) so I throw a bit of that in too. I have a lot of Jerusalem artichokes fresh from the garden so I might peel and dice a few of them to add to my soup. They add a water chestnut type of flavor and crunch, so I will put them in at the end of the cooking cycle. Place the slow cooker on low setting and let the soup simmer for three hours or so. Now that the days and nights are getting cold here in Michigan, hot soup is just what is needed.

 Monday

Crock-pot Vegetable Soup
Frozen Fruit Slush

Tuesday

Steaks on the grill
Baked Potatoes
Broccoli
Banana Bread

Wednesday

Barbecue Chicken
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans
Salads

Thursday

Sausage and Sour Kraut
Banana Shakes

Friday

Pizza & Pop
Layered Pudding Delight

Saturday

Barbecue Meatballs with Noodles
Baked Squash

Sunday

On Your Own


1 comment:

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

We've done Meatless Monday for years. My family loves egg dishes like quiche, so I usually make that with some garlic bread, or we do a vegetarian lasagna or mac & cheese. While we're skipping the meat, we tend to go heavy on the cheese, so I need some lighter ideas.