Monday, May 11, 2009

Tackle it Tuesday - Organizing your Bills

Romans 13:7-8 (Amplified Bible) says:

7Render to all men their dues. [Pay] taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, and honor to whom honor is due.

8Keep out of debt and owe no man anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor [who practices loving others] has fulfilled the Law [relating to one's fellowmen, meeting all its requirements].

There's a job that not many of us women care to do too often - the never-ending job of paying bills. I prefer to leave that to my husband, but he prefers to leave it to me. Is that Biblical? I flip-flop on the issue. One thing that I do know is that, in our household, I am the more frugal of the two (putting it mildly) and I am generally more organized as well. Because my husband knows this, he transfers the responsibility of managing the checking account to me. That does NOT mean that I make the financial decisions. I inform him as to what bills there are and when they are due. He tells me what he thinks I should pay.

With the stack of medical bills becoming larger and the checking account slimming down, I decided I really had to get better organized. The above verses from Paul's letter to the Romans makes it quite clear that the Christian is to be diligent in the matter of paying debts. By organizing my debt load into a budget or "diary" I'll be more aware of what I owe to others and become less likely to spend what little I have before paying my bills.

This became my Tackle it Tuesday project.

I downloaded a free budget planner for the computer and began filling it in. It's harder than I thought, especially since there really isn't enough to go around.

I keep all of our bills in a large zipper storage bag in my desk drawer. They don't get lost that way. I also decided that paper billing is best for us because I tend to forget when due dates are. Also, there may come a time when we won't have internet service.

I also took all of the medical bills we've received so far in the months of March and April and copied them. Once I get all of them, I can submit them to a place that's helping us with just my husband's medical expenses for the surgery and pulmonary embolism - not to mention the sleep clinic. I clipped all of the medical bills together and put the copies in a file to submit. The originals are in the zipper bag.

I don't know if all the bills are in good order really, because there are so many of them and I feel like pulling my hair out. It'll get better, I'm told. I pray a lot.

Visit 5 Minutes for Mom to get more tackle ideas.

4 comments:

annies home said...

there are times that we may struggle with our budget but if we place our trust in him and continue to live a budget filled life we will hopefully find our life

Aisling said...

We pay pretty much all of our regular bills by direct debit. That's the UK term for direct payment from your bank account.
The only thing I can think of that doesn't is our trash can cleaning, because he comes to the door for payment, but that's only £3 per month.
We still have to make sure there is enough money in the account to cover everything but at least I don't have to worry any more about forgetting to post a cheque.

Susie said...

Great tackle!

na said...

That sure is a tough job at times.