Wednesday, February 06, 2019

Update on Sauerkraut


My doctor suggested that I eat homemade, raw sauerkraut often. Since I was unable to find one that didn't contain preservatives yet was affordable, I decided to make my own

So, it's been a while since my homemade, spicy sauerkraut became ready for me to eat. As of today, I am still the only one eating it and have been doing so every day for about a week. Which brings me to an interesting side thought: Why do some people think that if something is homemade, it can't be good?

This recipe is a little spicy and reminds me of a mild kimchi, but it is nowhere near being something that a person like me, with acid reflux, can't have. I have to tell you - just a couple of tablespoonfuls each day on top of my salad has really been wonderful. Probiotic goodness! 

I am storing this in my refrigerator where it will continue to ferment slowly until I have used it all up. When this batch runs out, I will try a plain version without the spices, just for kicks.






1 comment:

Secondary Roads said...

Love homemade sauerkraut. Sylvia makes some each year. (We grow the organic cabbage in our garden.) Very satisfying. It is of the plain variety with only salt added to cabbage and water.