Monday, January 04, 2016

Menu Plan Monday - January 4


Happy Birthday to my oldest child, Joshua! I can't believe how the time has flown. The older I get, the quicker the months (and years) pass. I am looking forward to a new year with new goals and new dreams. With all of the horrible stuff going on in the world today, we must be as diligent as ever to pray and then act when God asks us to. A great way to jump start a sluggish spiritual life is to read God's Word daily. A "read through the Bible in a year" Bible is a wonderful way to get through the Scriptures in a year. I have begun my 15th year doing this and I have to tell you that I am amazed how God's Word speaks fresh to me every day. It never gets stale. I am using the NIV Chronological yearly Bible this year, as I did last year. It helps me put the timeline in perspective. There are lots of other yearly Bible versions, including the KJV. Find one you like and stick to it. It's not too late to begin.

As for our menu plan this week, I am having to be creative. Grocery prices just keep climbing and I'm having a lot of trouble trying to make the budget balance in the right direction. I have found that going through recipe books to find meals for which I actually have the ingredients (or can afford them), is the best method for meal planning - for me. You might have other ideas that work for you. The best part of meal planning is that you have control over your menus and your budget. Don't wait until the last minute to stare at an open refrigerator (and allow electricity or gas to waste because you're letting out too much cold air) or a pantry cupboard. Also, when you plan your meals ahead of time, you are less apt too reach for bad-for-you quick fixes. The experts are all declaring that convenience foods are among the worst for the body and for the checkbook.

Our meals this week are planned as:

Monday

Bacon for those who want to add it to the chowder
Left-over Christmas Cookies

Tuesday - Josh's Birthday Party

Chipotle Beef Fajitas (Country Living Magazine)
Spanish Rice
Chips & Salsa
Cake and Ice-cream

Wednesday

Spaghetti & Crumbled Hamburger
Green Beans
Salads

Thursday

Baked Chicken
Mashed Potatoes
Carrots

Friday

Pizza & Pop

Saturday

Savory Mini-meatloaves
Baked Potatoes
Vegetable (I haven't decided yet)

Sunday

On Your Own

No comments: