Friday, November 02, 2012

Thirty Days of Thankfulness - Days 1 & 2

I'm seeing a lot of people doing this thing somewhat to the effect of "Thirty Days of Thankfulness". We really should do a 365 (or 366 in cases of Leap Years) Days of Thankfulness, but thirty is a start. Since this is already day two of November, I'll combine a couple of days.

I live in the greatest country in the world - the United States of America. Yes, we have political problems. Yes, we have crime. Yes, we have poverty. The list could go on. But, though we have some problems, we still have freedoms that a good deal of the rest of the world does not or has not experienced in a while.

I can still worship God in a church that is open to all who will come. I don't have to hide somewhere and worship in secret, praying that the authorities in power do not raid the building and arrest me or worse. The Constitution of the United States of America gives me that right. Furthermore, I do not have to belong to a State Church or be persecuted, as many in other countries throughout history have been forced to do. Freedom of Religion is grand! So is the Freedom to Assemble.

I can voice my opinion without the threat of imprisonment - I have the Freedom of Speech that is granted to me under our great Constitution. I view this as a valuable freedom, one not to be taken lightly or to be misused.

I can still own a firearm if I choose to do so, though that right is being gradually questioned and threatened. Why own a gun? I come from a long line of hunters who love the woods and who have often had to hunt game in order to provide food for the winter for our families. The ability to protect our loved ones is greater with firearm ownership as well. If lawmakers and government officials really thought about it, they would come to realize that criminals will always have weapons, but take away the rights from God fearing citizens and peaceful residents to own them and a military state will begin. Call me a redneck if you want to, but this great country has a lot to offer, including that right to own firearms.

We have other, valuable freedoms which are listed in the Constitution of the United States. All citizens should read this document, lest we forget them and allow bad governmental leaders to take those rights away us.

The United States is also a beautiful, diverse country. We have people of ethnicities and from all walks of life all over this land which itself is varied - from mountains to prairies to deserts to farmland to bayou.

Thank you, Father, for the USA.

No comments: