Saturday, October 08, 2011

Saturday Scripture Speaks


Proverbs 24:27 (NLT) says, "Do your planning and prepare your fields before building your house."

How many times do we get the cart before the horse, so to speak? I had an experience this week that was one of those things. I stumbled upon a part-time job that I had not planned on getting; in fact, I wasn't even thinking about applying. Our local librarian had to quit her long time job. I assumed the main branch would give the job to someone from within the organization, so I didn't apply. One day I went to the library with my children and the fill-in librarian, a friend of mine, asked me to fill out an application. I figured, how can it hurt?

That same day, another librarian recommended that I apply. Well, it was already done. Here it is less than two weeks later and I have the job.

Now, after I applied and interviewed, I had a feeling I was probably going to get the job. I almost began making plans.

The Bible says not to get ahead of ourselves, however. The Good News Translation puts the above proverb this way, "Don't build your house and establish a home until your fields are ready, and you are sure that you can earn a living."

I could have bought a bunch of new work clothes or bragged that I had the job - and then found out that I didn't. It's always best to wait upon the Lord and then reap His abundant blessings.

No comments: