Saturday, August 27, 2011

Saturday Scripture Speaks - Hope for the Resurrection





"But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and he will stand upon the earth at last. And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God! I will see him for myself. Yes, I will see him with my own eyes. I am overwhelmed at the thought!" Job 19:25-26 (New Living Translation)

I have hope today. Things might be going rough; I might be going through all sorts of trials and difficulties - shattered dreams, as author Larry Crabb says - but I still have hope. My hope is in the resurrection of the saints when Jesus, the "second Adam", comes back to claim final victory.

Job believed in the final Resurrection. Although everything had shattered all that he had on this earth, nothing could shatter the hope he had in that final Resurrection. He knew that his physical body will one day be put back together whole (an incorruptible, spiritual-type body that will never die again). He would enjoy God forever, and ever, and ever, and ever........

Concerning the Resurrection of the dead, Jesus said:

"Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.” Matthew 22:29-32 (NIV)

To be "like the angels in heaven." Wow. When I think about this, I, too, am overwhelmed.

1 comment:

Growth in God said...

Great post!