Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Memory - How Much do You Forget?

Okay, so I'm getting ready for my company and I'm starting to pull my hair out. Here's what I think I'll do:

I'll make a list! Aha!

Yes, I make a list of regular household chores so that I don't forget anything. I never thought that I would need something like that, but as I get older I realize that I can't remember what I used to remember. And I'm not that old!

So, how can you keep your mind sharp?

There's good news for coffee and tea drinkers - caffeine has been shown to boost short term memory. I also read that it can help prevent Alzheimer's Disease.

Here's something new (not) - READ! Yes, read books, magazine articles, stories, poetry, anything that keeps your mind active. Reading also burns more calories than watching TV or playing computer games.

Do puzzles, like crosswords or seek & find and others. These keep your mind busy and active. I tend to think that if you don't exercise a part of your body, you'll love muscle tone and the ability to use it. It probably isn't any different for your brain.

I'll keep making lists, but I'll also keep exercising my brain. By the way, writing and posting to blogs is another way to exercise your mind.

1 comment:

Cindy @ Fenced in Family said...

Good tips, Rita. I'm horribly forgetful as well. I think having kids around sucks the brain cells out. I feel so distracted all the time that I can't seem to remember other things.