Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Squash Casserole

I had some yellow crookneck squash a friend gave me and I searched high and low for a good casserole in which to use them. I found a lot of them, but none of them would work for me because I didn't have the needed ingredients to complete any of them. Not willing to give up that easily, I created my own recipe which went over with great success. Here's what I did:

Squash Casserole

3 medium sized yellow crookneck squash, washed & cut in 1/4" slices
1 cup milk (I used 1/3 c. dry milk with water added to make 1 cup)
3 slices swiss cheese
1/4 cup cubed Velveeta
1/4 cup flour
1 egg
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt & pepper
3 Tbsp. cooking oil

Steam the squash slices until fork tender. Drain. Saute garlic and onion in oil until tender. Stir the squash into sauteed veggies. In a bowl, mix milk, egg, flour, salt & pepper. Add Velveeta. Put squash mix into a greased casserole dish. Pour milk mixture over the top of squash. Place swiss cheese slices over the top of the casserole. Bake in 350 degree (F) oven for about 25-30 minutes or until browned.

No comments: