Sunday, July 27, 2008

Giving of One's Self

I just finished up the book A Simple Path, by Mother Teresa and I was left awestruck. No matter what you believe concerning Catholicism, you'll still glean much concerning the meaning of love. This book is not meant to be a story about the nun's life but rather about the ministry that she set before her, thus the title she chose.

Mother Teresa's philosophy was a simple one: "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Matthew 25:40 (KJV).

This was the theme of the entire book. Love others without passing judgment. Mother Teresa didn't judge others. She said she didn't have time to waste by trying to decide if something or someone was good or bad. She only had time to love. She looked past another's sins - she didn't care about that because it was for God to judge, not her.

She felt that meeting the needs of the suffering and hurting was the best way to present the Gospel. I think she was effective in that. People knew that she didn't do good because of what she got out of it. She did it for what they got out of it. You know what? I don't think that Mother Teresa went about her daily work in Calcutta thinking, "Wow, just think of all the crowns I'll receive in Heaven!"

This woman prayed a lot. She believed that God hears prayers and that He answers. No need to fret about whether He cares - He does.

Even though I was raised Roman Catholic and I know very well where Mother Teresa was getting at in various passages of this book, I don't agree with some of her thoughts. But that doesn't matter. What matters is what Mother Teresa saw when she looked into the eyes of a hurting person - she saw Jesus.

No comments: