Friday, December 21, 2007

A Review and a Quiz

I'm having a hard time coming up with titles for my posts.....can you tell?

We watched The Nativity Story tonight and I have to tell you that I LOVED this movie. Evan and Johnny rarely sit and watch a family movie with us anymore, but tonight they both sat right down and watched this one from start to finish. I'm hoping doing things like this during the Christmas season will help bring our family's focus back on Christ and for the great sacrifice/gift He gave us.

I think Jeff's going deaf or something. Tonight I said our Jesse Tree focus was on baptism and that the symbol (i.e. the craft/picture) was to be a drop of water. Jeff says, "Oh boy! Are they saying we're supposed to sprinkle people in baptism?" Oh brother. Now, neither one of us believes that baptism HAS to be either sprinkling or immersion. Baptism isn't about the water...it's all about God and what He's done in the believer's heart.

At this point in the conversation I just put down my Bible and sighed deeply. I said through gritted teeth, "I don't think a picture of a water drop says that we believe in sprinkling." I had to re-say everything I'd just said about the focus on baptism and the symbol.

Then Jeff said, "Oh. I guess I was about to get into a theological discussion." Good grief! Like I wanted to get into stuff like that while trying to get across the main events leading up to Jesus' birth!

This is the time of year when I get tired of all of the bickering among believers and wish for a tremendous period of uniting in order to be a better witness to others. But you know, that day is coming. It'll be a grand time when we're all together praising God and enjoying all His goodness for eternity. I don't think any of us will at that point say, "Oh man, there's my neighbor who doesn't do everything the way I think he should." I think we'll love each other in the way we're commanded to do here on earth but fail in our efforts.

Anyway, just thoughts and no scolding intended. I hope you know where I'm coming from and if you know anything about our adventures with different church denominations, you'll understand.

As for the quiz, I took one on AOL titled: Don't Forget the Lyrics. Give it a try. My results:

8 correct, 3 incorrect. You could sing backup. You hit a few bum notes but it'll do.

No comments: