Friday, June 19, 2009

Saturday Scripture Speaks - Good, not Harm


I just want to talk about two verses this week:

"Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." Proverbs 31:11-12 (NIV)

I have to ask myself this, "Does my husband have full confidence in me? Do I bring him good, not harm?"

It's so easy to get caught up in the world these days. People, and I don't just mean women, do a lot of this:

:P

It's called "tongue wagging" - a.k.a. gossip - and it does not bring good to anyone, least of all those we love.

Gossip is defined by Webster's as:


1. Light informal conversation for social occasions.

2. A report (often malicious) about the behavior of other people; "the divorce caused much gossip".

3. A person given to gossiping and divulging personal information about others.


Quite often, a word dropped "casually" here and there develops into more than "just a word." When a wife says things to others to create a bit of kindling to light a bigger fire about her husband, she is not bringing him good.


Spread that beyond the home. Spread it all over the country, the world. The fire is unquenchable. People hate others because of rumors.


My husband would never have "full confidence" in me if I spent my time idly, speaking ill of others and bringing embarrassment to him.


We Proverbs 31 wives have a lot of responsibilities upon our shoulders, but they aren't any we can't handle. We just need to focus on Jesus, our Savior and example. He was tempted to gossip - He was tempted in all things the Bible says. Did He give in to the temptation?


He wouldn't be our Savior if He had.


The next time someone tempts you to spread a juicy morsel, think about your husband. Don't bring him harm - bring him good by stepping away and stepping above. Ask Jesus to help you.



2 comments:

Angela said...

I thought of using this scripture in my post today. I thought about it last night as we were out at Niagara Falls and was I really doing him good when I let him go out looking like that? I seriously need to 'help' my husband dress before he goes out.

This devotional was filled with godly advice. It is SO true..loved the scriptures...I have them all underlined in my bibles, and beside it, asking God to help me be this woman!!

na said...

You know I get this a lot with the older generation in my family. The biggest thing to remember is just because my mom, aunt or dad said somebody said or did something...doesn't really mean it is true. This has caused so many problems because my mom will "think" this is what is going on...when it really isn't.

Anymore, I just ignore them...but that doesn't set too well either. Oh well, it has cut down on a lot of the troubles. Not too mention that I have better things to do with my time than worry about what my second cousin did last night.