Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tuesday's Tribute - Literary Inspirations


For today's tribute I'd like to point to my English and literature teachers both in high school and college. These people instilled in me a love of the written word that will last a lifetime.

Teachers don't always get the respect they deserve. One teacher in particular, Mrs. McKeever, was one of my favorites. She taught composition classes at our high school and I thought she was terrific. Most of the other kids didn't.

The reason Mrs. McKeever wasn't so well loved was because she thought students shouldn't just "get by." She made us WORK. When we made mistakes, she was bold enough to tell us we did. Why? Because she CARED!

I'll never forget asking this great lady, "Did I do good on my test?"

She said, "Well."

I asked, "Did I do good on my test?"

She repeated, "Well."

I think we went through these same lines six or eight times before it sunk in.

"Did I do well on my test?"

"Yes, very well."

If you'd like to participate in Tuesday's Tribute, visit Halftime Lessons to add your link!

2 comments:

Deb said...

this is a great tribute! i always liked the teachers that challenged me, as well!

Halftime Lessons said...

LOL
So neat for me to read this one...I had a couple of teachers in high school who drove how the importance of the written and spoken word. Now of course, I drive my wife nuts with how exact I like to be about what I say...and hear...

Great Tribute!!

Jay