Monday, July 02, 2007

Blueberry Muffins

I made blueberry muffins from fresh wild berries my son and daughter picked for me last night. The whole family, minus me, went for a long walk in the woods in order to give me some alone time. I've been having stomach pains that make me think I might be getting an ulcer. Anyway, they came back with this little bit of blueberries and asked that I might make something with them. I'm talking a handful. Muffins were all I could come up with. Here's the recipe my 8th grade home economics teacher gave me way back when. It's been an old standby forever.

Blueberry Muffins

1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use canola or olive oil)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsps. baking powder
shake of salt
Handful of blueberries

Mix egg, oil, and milk together in a bowl. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in another bowl. Add all at once to the liquid mixture. Stir just until blended. Add blueberries and mix again slightly. Grease bottoms of 12 muffin cups. Fill each cup 2/3 full with batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and muffins spring back when touched. Cool for 5 minutes and then remove from muffin tin.

No comments: