Monday, October 13, 2014

Menu Plan Monday - October 13

http://orgjunkie.com

I found a gem of a book in our local library. It is Julia's Kitchen Wisdom by Julia Child. Remember the blog/book/movie, Julie & Julia? It's a true story of a woman who so respected Julia Child that she sought to make every recipe in Julia's classic cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, in a year. As I look through the cookbook I just borrowed from my library, I notice first that it isn't nearly as large as Julia's first cookbook is. Like the original, however, this book is loaded with cream, butter, meat, and all else that some might consider to be unhealthy. There is still a lot to glean from it, however.

I have no such desire to create dishes from any of Julia Child's cookbooks in a year, but I do desire to make some of them over the course of the next few weeks, transforming them from luscious fat-filled goodies to something a vegan or vegetarian (and a gluten-free person) could enjoy. With that in mind, you will notice that my first attempt will be on this week's menu under Monday. I am going to try the Leek and Potato Soup on page 1 but changing it to Creamy Potato and Onion Soup. I intend to replace the sour cream with something vegan. you'll have to wait until next week to find out whether the attempt is a good one. If it is, I will share my recipe. As for the original from Julia Child, you'll have to borrow or purchase it.

 Monday

Creamy Potato and Onion Soup
Warm Bread
Salad

Tuesday

Parmesan Baked Bone-in Chicken Breasts
 Mashed Potatoes
Baked Acorn Squash
Cole Slaw

Wednesday

 Roast Beef
Carrots
Roasted Potatoes
Salads

Thursday

Gluten-free Birthday Cake
.Pizza & Pop

Friday

Beef Goulash
Sauteed Zucchini and Tomato Sauce
Green Beans

Saturday

Veggie Burgers on the grill
Oven-fried Potatoes
Cottage Cheese

Sunday

On Your Own

No comments: