Monday, November 19, 2012

Thirty Days of Thankfulness - Day 19





I am extremely thankful that I was able to get my health turned around in the last couple of years. I found out what foods to which I am allergic - gluten and garbanzo beans. I eliminated gluten from my diet about three years ago. Last year I had to eliminate garbanzo beans as well. In July of last year, I began dieting by eliminating sugar - then eliminating most animal products. Doing those last two things resulted in me losing 40 lbs and feeling better (and younger) than I have in many years. Exercise is important. I added walking as much as I can.

I also added something that has helped me tremendously. I had acid reflux so bad that I would grab my stomach and double over in pain, unable to move or barely breathe for a good five minutes when an "attack" happened. I went to the doctor and ran tests. It was determined that I had a problem at the top of stomach that is quite common in smokers - in spite of the fact that I have NEVER smoked even once in my life. This "problem" keeps stomach acid at the top of the stomach, leaking into the esophagus.

The doctor then put me on acid reflux medication (omeprazole, over the counter). It worked, but it was expensive. Then, I found out that these medications cause osteoporosis! Well, I don't need that! Through tons of research, I came to the conclusion that I needed to use foods and supplements to create a less acidic body. I now take barley grass (organic) tablets every morning. Sometimes I take several throughout the day, depending on what I'm eating. I eat a mostly vegan/raw foods diet. Those two changes have eliminated my stomach pains and acid reflux. The only times I get a bit of reflux is when I eat something I know that I shouldn't.

Praising God for my renewed health!

No comments: