Saturday, March 17, 2012

To Buy Used or Not?

I am looking very forward to garage sales this summer, though I'm not sure they are always the best thing going. I used to think that getting my clothes used saved me tons of money. Today, I don't think that's the case a lot of the time. The last couple of summers have burned me out on garage sales, as I had to go to many, many sales to find one decent item that wasn't ripped or stained AND was at a price I thought was fair.

Today, I took my daughter shopping for some clothes. We tried used shops first, including Goodwill. Was I ever discouraged! The prices are high enough that I couldn't justify purchasing, again, torn or stained clothing - let alone things that have been shrunk so you're not really sure what sizes they truly are.

I ended up buying some things from Wal-mart and Kohl's.

shoes from Wal-mart for $13.00


dress and sweater from Kohl's $32.00 with $10.00 off certificate

The moral of the story is, for me, that if I hunt down sales (all items above were 50% off regular price - lots were on sale for 75% off regular price), I can buy brand new things. It's important to weigh out the pros and cons of what you're buying before you make that purchase, though.

No comments: