Monday, March 19, 2012

Menu Plan Monday - March 19


Happy Monday. I am working on becoming more healthy - have dropped three dress sizes since June 2011 simply by eating healthier and getting refined sugar out of my diet. When I get sugar these days, it is in the form of natural sugars - that found in fruits and vegetables, and sometimes dairy, though I am working on eliminating dairy from my diet. You can read vegan authors to find out what they recommend concerning dairy and why. For me, however, it is mostly an issue of intolerance. I use homemade plain yogurt in my smoothies (with some ground flax seeds and fruit), but that is about it. My love of cheese is the hardest thing to let go.

In the coming weeks I would like to talk about some of the food additives that you and I can certainly do away with - and why we should. Today, it's brominated vegetable oil. If you are a Mountain Dew drinker, you'll see it in the ingredients list. Perhaps you don't drink soda pop but you do like to have a sports drink now and then. Brominated vegetable oil is also found in Gatorade, Powerade, and many more sports drinks. It's found in many foods, even some pastas.

Bromine is a toxic chemical that, for whatever reason, is allowed to be used as an emulsifier of sorts by the FDA to be used for food and drink. It's sort of like homogenized milk - the fat is spread all over in tiny droplets and doesn't settle. It has been linked to many physical ailments and is banned for use in food products in many countries - but not the good old USA. We like to feed our people stuff that makes them sick with cancers, kidney disease, and other not-so-good ailments. Please, please please - check labels before buying food products.

As for the menu plan this week, here it is:

Monday

Breaded Fish Filets
Baked Potatoes
California Blend Vegetables

Tuesday

Goulash
Spaghetti Squash & Tomato Sauce (for gluten-free peeps)

Wednesday

Roast Chicken
Mashed Potatoes
Corn 
Hot Rolls with Butter

Thursday

Salads

Friday

Pizza & Pop

Saturday

Fish Fry (walleye & pike caught last fall)
French Fries (homemade)
Oven-roasted Cabbage

Sunday

On Your Own

No comments: