Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Misc. Doings

This is not a Tackle it Tuesday post, but it does highlight some of the things I've been doing these days. I haven't kept anybody posted as to my weight loss/get healthy venture in a while. The diet has gone well and I still eat more healthy than not. Since June 1, I have lost 22 pounds and am now at a comfortable weight, though not where I would ideally like to be. Still, to be back in the normal body mass ratio is wonderful. The diet I follow is a conglomoration of many diets. I keep bad carbohydrates mostly out of my meals, though I splurge once in a great while. I have one cup of coffee a day (99% of the time) and only in the morning before I eat anything. I wait an hour and then have a simple breakfast, usually a bowl of oatmeal (old-fashioned oats) with berries sprinkled into it. I rarely eat sugar and when I do, I tend to use stevia or raw, unfiltered honey. I limit meat to once or twice a week. I have plenty of green salads, lots of veggies (if you read my menu plans you'll notice I like green beans). When I use milk it's skim. I make my own yogurt and I never sweeten it. I use it often in smoothies, but again, I don't use sugar. I am still gluten-free and have no desire to go back to the gummy, rotten stuff. I have given up soda pop for good. I TRY to get lots of water down, but often forget. I walk a lot for exercise. I stay busy.

I have dropped FOUR sizes and am finding I might have to hunt for smaller jeans. I am not focusing on food - I'm focusing on my love for Jesus. I'm finding that ministry is more important than food and the body. Food and the body are temporal - what we do for Christ is eternal. Get my eyes off of me and things fall into their proper places.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Something else going on is Small Business Saturday on November 26. America's small businesses are what keeps her going. I have pledged to shop my local small businesses on November 26. Won't you join in? Take the pledge and you might win one of 100 $25 American Express gift cards to use that day.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I am  the new librarian at our local branch of our county's public library. I work 4 hours a day. It has been a great thing so far. I keep busy there for the most part, meet new people, and get the chance now and then to impart Christian values. Do I preach to them? Of course not. I simply talk to them about whatever subject they bring up. I kid you not, I have been asked to give recommendations for Christian books, talk about my church, and even discuss the Bible. People are hungry for the Truth. I have to conclude that this might be the reason the job fell into my lap. I prayed for a ministry in my village and I'm getting it - plus a little extra cash.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am on jury duty for November. I've only had to show up at the court house once so far. I was not chosen for the jury. I know too many people involved with the case, from the defending lawyer to many of the witnesses for the defense. Then there's the fact that my son is a county deputy, which makes me biased for the prosecution as well. I spent 8 hours at the court house on jury selection day and, though I got tired, learned a tremendous amount of legal stuff - fascinating stuff. When you get chosen for jury duty, don't grumble. Rather, consider it your DUTY to serve - and to do so with a good attitude and spirit.

No comments: