Friday, September 09, 2011

Saturday Scripture Speaks - Goody Goody?

It has been brought to my attention that people I've known in the past, and some whom I now know, believe me to be "a goody goody." Now, why does this bother me? I guess it's because the most recent reference was used in a rather snide manner. It's as if my being "good" really grates on people's nerves.

Let me say, before going further, that I try to be good - I always have. One time when I was a teenager, I said a swear word just because everyone else seemed to be using that word. I thought that maybe I should be more like others. When I blurted out the offending word, I was completely shocked with how it sounded as it came out of my mouth. I put my hand over my mouth and didn't say such things again.

You see, Christians are supposed to be different. The Lord wants us to shine for Him, to point others to the light of Jesus rather than the darkness that is Satan's realm. Matthew 5:13-14 (NIV) says: “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden."

When I chose to swear, I risked losing a little of my "saltiness." I don't want that. Neither does God. But does that mean I'm "good?"


Romans 3:10-11 (KJV) says:
As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

According to this verse, I'm not good enough for God and neither is anyone else. We can't work our ways into God's good graces. We get our righteousness from Christ - given as a free gift. We can't earn it and we can't buy it. We take it by faith - and we live for the Giver. (John 3:16)

I struggle with sin just the same as anyone else. My tongue is my nemesis and I work daily at trying to control it. Without prayer, I doubt I'd ever succeed. You might have something else that wages war with you. My sins might not look like yours, but they're there all the same.

The next time someone tries to hurt me with words of "good little Rita", I'm going to remember that my goal is truly to be "good" and that someday, God will get me to that place - oh yeah, it's called perfection and that's all there is in Heaven.

No comments: