Friday, July 01, 2011

Saturday Scripture Speaks

Proverbs 18:6-8 (Amplified) says this:

  • A [self-confident] fool's lips bring contention, and his mouth invites a beating. A [self-confident] fool's mouth is his ruin, and his lips are a snare to himself. The words of a whisperer or talebearer are as dainty morsels; they go down into the innermost parts of the body.

This passage of Scripture just happens to be one that I came across in my daily devotions this morning. I wasn't looking for it - I read through the Bible each year so I take what comes each day. I am currently working my way through the New Living Translation's "One Year Bible".

This subject of a fool ruining himself with his mouth is a tender one for me, not so much because I've exchanged in gossip - I have and if you're honest, so have you. I have been the "victim" of gossip more times than not, and I am here to tell you that Proverbs 18:6-8 is TRUE!

The times when I thought I was hurt beyond repair because of other people's whispering and tale bearing proved to be not so bad when held in comparison to the ruin those people did to themselves.

While tidbits of gossip might seem enticing, I urge you to resist. You will fare much better if you feast on truth, God's Truth, rather than junk food that eventually makes the spirit sick. You want the meat of the Gospel reaching your innermost parts, not dainty morsels that never really satisfy anyway.

No comments: