Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Creative Gluten-Free Ideas?

Are you gluten-free and have a hard time finding packaged foods (for those times you're in a hurry) that aren't expensive? I am, and not really for me but more for my eight-year-old daughter. She won't eat veggies that much, which infuriates me. I can't even get her to take her vitamins. She says they taste awful.

Today, I'm going to experiment with making some snacks and other things by scratch - and gluten-free. I figure the worst I can make is dog food. Actually, I've had some pretty good results so far by taking traditional recipes and subbing in a mixture of gluten-free flours and starches, along with eggs and xantham gum. It's all hit and miss, but when I get it right, I make sure that I write down what I did so I can repeat the action.

This morning, I had a gluten-free, wheat free, dairy free, cholesterol free snack bar that my son, Evan, got in the mail. By looking at the description, you'd think it was gross. UNTRUE! I loved it! I'm going to try to find these at the store, maybe at our natural foods store for sure at a local deli! It would be good to have these types of snacks on hand. In a couple of weeks I'm attending the Woman to Woman Conference at our church (a really big affair - packs out our large church every year) and I can't eat the lunch that is available there. They're having sandwiches! I'd like to pack one of these snack bars because after eating it this morning, my hunger was curbed for a long time.

If you've found creative ways to eat gluten-free economically, I'd love to hear about it!

No comments: