Friday, April 09, 2010

Saturday Scripture Speaks - Shall We Abandon the Sick?


Then they found an Egyptian in the field, and brought him to David; and they gave him bread and he ate, and they let him drink water.  And they gave him a piece of a cake of figs and two clusters of raisins. So when he had eaten, his strength came back to him; for he had eaten no bread nor drunk water for three days and three nights.Then David said to him, “To whom do you belong, and where are you from?”
And he said, “I am a young man from Egypt, servant of an Amalekite; and my master left me behind, because three days ago I fell sick.
1 Samuel 30:11-13 (NKJV)

This Scripture screams out at me this week. I have been sick for the past month or better - I continue to be sick. I am in the process of enduring medical tests to find out what exactly is wrong. I have my theories, but my husband insists I let the medical doctors have their shot at it.

I believe it all stems from gluten intolerance and celiac disease. I was severely anemic as a young child, always scrawny and tiny, with headaches a lot of the time. I had gall stones in my early 30's although I rarely ate meat or anything high fat. When I had my gall bladder taken out seven years later, it was serious - I might have died, but God had other plans.

Today I have no energy and have stomach pains that double me over and make me nauseous. There is a pain under my right rib cage that won't go away and I'm losing weight.

I know what it is to be sick and I can relate to the young man from Egypt in 1 Samuel. When you get sick, the majority of the population finds you to be a "nuisance." You aren't exactly fun to be around. They don't want to wait around for you to get better.

Verse 15 goes on to say, "And David said to him, ''Can you take me down to this troop?”
So he said, “Swear to me by God that you will neither kill me nor deliver me into the hands of my master, and I will take you down to this troop.”


Because David took the time to talk to a sick man, he was blessed in the long run. The man brought him to the troop and David had victory over his enemies. David's wives were rescued from the Amalekites and all that had been taken was recovered.


Won't you take the time to be kind to someone who needs that kindness today? You'll be blessed if you do.

No comments: