Saturday, December 19, 2009

Saturday Scripture Speaks


I read the book of Jonah this morning during my devotional time. I am nearly through reading the Bible in a year once again and, as always, something different hits me every time I read the same passages. This time, the following is especially meaninful to me:

Jonah 2:8-9 (KJV)

"They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy. But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD."

Here's how the Amplified Bible puts it:

"Those who pay regard to false, useless, and worthless idols forsake their own [Source of] mercy and loving-kindness. But as for me, I will sacrifice to You with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that which I have vowed. Salvation and deliverance belong to the Lord!"

 These verses in Jonah say that we give up mercy (grace - undeserved) when we worship idols.

I don't bow down to worthless idols - or do I? An idol is, by God's own definition, anything or anyone who takes the place of HIM in our lives. To do this is to violate the first commandment. If I place more importance upon my children, husband, house, money - whatever - I am worshiping an idol.

Everyone worships someone or something, even though they might tell you and I otherwise.
Why forfeit grace and "joy unspeakable" for a worthless idol?
   

No comments: