Friday, October 30, 2009

Saturday Scripture Speaks



"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." 1Corinthians 1:18 (NIV)


We discussed this verse at our Wednesday night Bible study this week. The topic was Matthew chapter 20 - the parable of the owner of the vineyard. You know the one; the owner hired servants at the first hour, later in the day, until the last hour. All of the servants received the same pay for their labor. Some of the earlier workers grumbled because they figured they should have earned more for the longer hours than those who had come in at the last moment.

"Am I not permitted to do what I choose with what is mine? [Or do you begrudge my being generous?] Is your eye evil because I am good? So those who [now] are last will be first [then], and those who [now] are first will be last [then]. For many are called, but few chosen." Matthew 20:15-16 (Amplified Bible)

How many of us begrudge the Lord's generosity over the last minute conversions that happen. We wonder, is it fair that those who've been such scoundrels all of their lives suddenly receive salvation on their deathbeds - and then all is forgiven?

Ah.....God chose the foolish things of man to show His mighty forgiveness and power.

There are a vast amount of people right now who don't believe in the power of the Cross. They mock the name of Christ. They mock us. Still, it's not too late for them. But will they believe before it really is too late? When will their hearts soften - will they soften?

I wrote a short product review for Amazon.com last week concerning an item I recently purchased. I was very disappointed in the way evolution was presented as fact on an accompanying cd. I briefly mentioned that and said, "Evolution is a theory, not a fact."

Here's a reply to the product review:


"Auugh! I suppose you believe that a Jewish teenager became pregnant ... If so, I have a orange-colored bridge that resides in San Francisco that I'll be willing to let you have for a really good price."


Sadly, this person is perishing and doesn't know it. "The message of the Gospel is foolishness...."

I can only say that if it should all be a lie (the Gospel), then I've lost nothing. BUT, if it should all be true, I have everything to gain.

If a nonbeliever finds it all to be true (after a lifetime of nonbelief), he has everything to lose.

I choose Christ.

1 comment:

na said...

So true! They can not see what they don't understand.