Saturday, September 12, 2009

Saturday Scripture Speaks - A Wise Woman

"The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down." Proverbs 14:1 (NIV)

I know you've heard the saying, "The wife (and mother) sets the tone for the rest of the household," meaning that if "Mom ain't happy, nobody's happy!" If you can tell me that's not true in your household, I'll be pretty surprised.

Proverbs is filled with great wisdom from verse one of chapter one to verse 31 of chapter 31. Much of it is directed toward or about women - the wise woman AND the foolish woman.

For some reason, Mom really does set the tone for her household. If she gets up in the morning feeling grumpy, does not spend time with the Lord (thus refreshing her spirit), and finds herself snapping at everyone who speaks to her, she transfers that attitude to everyone around her.

I've found that not only does my family become grumpy if I'm grumpy, but I am not productive (in a good way) either. I MUST put God first - first thing in the morning and every second of the day - in order to properly minister to my family. I can't skip devotions and prayer one day and expect that day to be filled with sunshine and joy. What I CAN expect is the enemy of my soul - Satan - to attack me over and over again in hopes of making me slip and treat my family poorly. If I allow that to happen by putting down my guard and allowing him to get a foothold, I become a very foolish woman who begins to tear down my household - whether that be by words or by deeds.

A wise woman puts on her armor each day. She reads her Bible DAILY, she talks to God in prayer DAILY, and she keeps Him in her thoughts as she strives to build up her household. She builds up those she loves with kind words, loving deeds, and kind instruction. She never forgets to pray for them. Most of all, she loves them with the love of Jesus.

No comments: