Monday, June 01, 2009

Baby Formula Savings

When I had my first baby 20 years ago, I decided right away that I wanted to breastfeed him. Nursing a baby with your own milk is the best choice you can make for him and for you for many reasons. First and foremost, it is free! I have to admit that the cost of baby formula versus the non-cost of mother's milk played a major factor in my decision.

Cost isn't the only factor to consider, though. There is no doubt among medical professionals and parents that mother's milk is healthier for your baby. I find it interesting that the American Academy of Pediatrics considers it "the gold standard in infant nutrition." There was my second reason to breastfeed.

Here I was, all excited about breastfeeding and then I had the baby prematurely. I couldn't hold him for a while, let alone try to breastfeed him. The nurses gave him baby formula in the hospital and he got fairly used to that. Even when I was able to try nursing, he still had to have supplement bottles because he weighed so little. Side note - he's humongous now.

After two weeks of trying to nurse that baby effectively, I gave up. It was so hard and I tried equally as hard.

There are more choices today than what I had 20 years ago. For one thing, parents aren't locked into buying a highly expensive name brand formula now. I checked out the Baby Formula Savings Calculator at the Parent's Choice website and found that my old formula, Enfamil, is about $14 more a can than Parent's Choice Infant Formula. I wish I could have bought store brand formula, which is as good as the name brand counterparts.

Store brand formulas must adhere to the same guidelines as the pricier name brand ones do. I'm a believer in grabbing your savings where you can, especially when you don't have to lessen your standards for quality.

If you are expecting or have a baby now and you are not going to breastfeed (still the BEST choice), you might want to check out the store brand formulas available today.

Post?slot_id=39017&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

No comments: