Friday, May 15, 2009

Saturday Scripture Speaks - May 16


"Cheerfully share your home with those who need a meal or a place to stay." 1 Peter 4:9 (New Living Translation)

This Scripture passage (and others on the same theme) is on my mind tonight, probably because family is here visiting and I know that hospitality is not my gift. I do try, mind you, but I really come up short.

The Proverbs 31 woman is a very hospitable one, I do believe. Proverbs 31:20 (New Living Translation) says, "She extends a helping hand to the poor and opens her arms to the needy."

I hear people say all the time, "I'm not that bad. At least I don't ____________ (fill in the blank.) Or they say, "Compared to so and so, I'm a good person."

To those sorts of comments I reply, "So who's your standard? Who do you compare yourself to? If you''re comparing yourself to other people, you'll look pretty good. When you compare yourself to Christ, you're coming up short." We all do - even the Proverbs 31 woman does. But she does her best, and that's what we need to do.

Keep striving for the best. You'll get there someday - that glorious day when Jesus presents you to the Father.

I'm opening up Saturday Scripture Speaks for links. If you'd like to post your own meditation or Scriptural thought, sign the Mr. Linky.


1 comment:

na said...

That is so true! Comparing ourselves to each other is like comparing brown paper to black paper...but held up against a white sheet like Jesus changes the perspective totally (that is what Jon Courson says!).