Friday, March 20, 2009

Saturday Scripture Speaks #12


31So Jesus said to those Jews who had believed in Him, If you abide in My word [hold fast to My teachings and live in accordance with them], you are truly My disciples.

32And you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free. John 8:31-32 (AMP)



Our Bible study group is studying spiritual maturity right now and it looks like it's going to be a powerful thing. I'm excited about the opportunity to learn how I can mature in my faith and my own spirituality. The above verses taken from John chapter 8 are referenced in our study material. I quoted the verses from the Amplified Bible because I think it explains the thought well.



It's really late tonight as I type this and my mind and fingers aren't working well together, so I'm going to be fairly brief.



The word abide means to hold fast, to stick to, to adhere to. Jesus talked many times about abiding in Him. Here He says to abide in His Word. He also says that if (and when) we do that, we are truly His disciples.

To be a believer and to be a disciple are two different things. Believers simply hear something and then agree that yes, that's true. Disciples, however, become like their teachers.



I want to be like Jesus rather than simply be one who nods my head in agreement with Him. I want Him to show me what He wants me to do with my life. I can't know that if I don't read His Word (the Bible) and do what it says, abide in it.

Faith requires a response, don't you think? Abiding in Christ and His Word brings us closer to becoming like Him rather than simply an acknowledgment of Him. Let me encourage you to open your Bible each day, if only for a few moments, to bring you closer to the Savior.


No comments: