Sunday, January 25, 2009

Taxes - Our Duty

I hate paying taxes but it's a fact of life. If you're a citizen of the United States, tax time is now and you have to pay taxes if you owe them. Don't forget to file by the April deadline.

I do our taxes myself and have done so for almost all of our married life. I have no idea what tax preparers charge these days but it has to be more than I pay to file mine online. This year I was really disappointed - as I am every year - that we aren't getting back as much as I'd hoped. Our refund is reduced this year by nearly $1,000 (from last year's return.) Tax laws change from year to year so we can expect a fluctuation.

Here's what hit us in the belly: Our second son turned 17 in 2008, thus we can't claim him for the additional child tax credit. Only three out of the five children are now figured as deductible. What I want to know is, since when does it cost less to feed, clothe, and otherwise support a 17 year old boy than it does a 7 year old girl? Because Johnny is now 17 he's cheaper to raise? Or does the government figure that by 17 he should be supporting himself financially?

As far as Josh goes, he's 20 but he still eats, sleeps, bathes and does his laundry here. He keeps the heat cranked up in his bedroom so our electric bill goes through the roof. He does not pay us room and board because, well, we don't believe in charging our son rent - especially since he's a full-time college student.

So that's my rant for the day.

No comments: