Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving


I suppose my Thanksgiving wish is a bit late as there are only a few hours left until Black Friday takes over and ushers in the Christmas season. Actually, I think Christmas has overtaken Thanksgiving this year.

About a month ago, before Halloween was officially over, I was in Wal-Mart browsing the candy aisle. I couldn't believe my ears because there was actually Christmas music playing over the store's speakers. Wow.

Then I began to browse other sections of the store and noticed tons of Christmas items everywhere - signs above them announcing Christmas savings. Wow.

No sign of Thanksgiving items. No mention of Thanksgiving.

It seems people have forgotten how to give thanks. My friends and family seem less thankful than in years past. Is it our hurting economy? Do people take the difficult times as some sort of "affront" to their personal lives?

We have to choose to be thankful. It's not a natural instinct of man. If we did what came naturally, we'd do nothing but sin all day long, wouldn't we? Thankfulness begins with a realization of what we are and why we need God's forgiveness. Once we reach within and acknowledge our sins, which are as filthy rags, and accept the forgiveness that God offers through the shed blood of His Son, Jesus, we'll get a glimpse of what true thankfulness feels like.

Tonight, I choose to be thankful for the good and for the bad. All things will work together for good in my life because it's God's promise. (Romans 8:28)


No comments: