Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Five Day Clubs

This week I'm hosting a Five Day Club. We meet in my front yard for one hour a day for five days - a Child Evangelism Fellowship missionary, me, and a bunch of neighborhood kids. Yesterday two kids showed up: Ryan and Amanda (mine). Bummer. We invited nearly the whole town and nobody came! Then today a ray of sunshine - eleven children in my yard. Hopefully tomorrow will mushroom even more.

This is not something that I just naturally wanted to do, lest you think I'm a saint. I felt the Holy Spirit tugging at me one day in church so I filled out a form asking for volunteers and threw it in the offering plate. I breathed a sigh of relief when I didn't hear anything for three weeks. I thought that maybe I misunderstood the Holy Spirit and therefore was discharged from duty. Wrong.

We're all called to bear fruit of our beliefs and love of Christ. God says that if we live worthless lives and don't bear fruit, we'll be cut off and thrown into the fire. (John 15:6, Matthew 3:10, Matthew 7:19) Eek.

If you want to watch a really good movie out on video that portrays what can happen when a believer becomes stagnant, rent The Wager starring Randy Travis. I watched it twice and absolutely loved it. More than that, I got the message it was sending out. Can YOU live the Sermon on the Mount?

1 comment:

na said...

I loved that movie too!

That is great news about the kids though! You never know how those seeds being planted in their minds will grow or when...but just getting them there is a blessing.