Thursday, August 14, 2008

Doggy & Kitty Breath

My Yorkshire Terrier is 8 years old and she has teeth that are really going bad. I've tried to keep up with brushing them, but I haven't been able to stave off bad breath and brown teeth. I don't have the money for the vet to put her to sleep while she cleans a tiny mouthful of teeth so when a friend told me that she had the same problem, I perked up. She said that she researched and found out that feeding a spoonful of plain yogurt twice a day to your pet will help its digestive system AND bad breath and tooth decay.

I've been giving Bobbi a spoonful in the morning and one at night and after a weeks time, I'm beginning to notice a difference in her energy level. Her bad breath is not nearly as offensive either. By the way, when she sees me get out her little yogurt container, she comes running to get a spoon of it.

5 comments:

na said...

I still have to try this with Cleo! I looked at Aldi and the only plain yogurt that they had was a huge tub...I am going to Meijer tonight though so I will grab some there.

Anonymous said...

What a fascinating tip-- I had no idea that yogurt could be so effective for pets. Thanks for joining Thrifty Green Thursday this week!

AmazinAlison said...

I guess a little extra flora in the form of the probiotics in yogurt is good for anyone! I'm not sure if my cat would tolerate this as she is the pickiest eater I know, but it is worth a try. Especially since I only remember to brush her teeth about twice a year!

Thanks for the tip!

Rebecca said...

When I first clicked on your link over at the Green Baby Guide, I thought you were going to recommend some special bone or dog food. Isn't it great when you can use some common grocery store item to solve a problem? Yogurt and dogs . . . who would have guessed?

Anonymous said...

Hey, what an idea.....I guess it probably makes sense if you think about the good/bad bacteria thing. I suppose it works for us, too?? There's another thought!!!
bethanyrae