Friday, July 18, 2008

The World

What is the world coming to? It's a question our parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents have likely asked, not to mention those generations before them.

Tonight I heard via telephone about some people close to me - one stealing and nearly bragging about it - another one breaking and entering, stealing, spending 2 weeks in jail, and then getting off practically Scot-free with nothing more than a hand slap. And let's not mention that child predator who seems to get away with it after only 10 months in jail and now he frequents the public library visiting and getting to know young teen girls and NOBODY stops him.

Then, tonight on the local news they flash a picture of a son of the people we bought our house from - he's been arrested for making bombs! They caught him with a car load of homemade bombs of all sorts. The police had to shut down a section of the road and detonate the bombs! This family lives maybe a mile down the road from us. I just talked to his mother at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago and she bragged to me how this boy is going to be a nuclear physicist. Hm.

God must be grieved, as I know He was the moment Adam and Eve fell. Please pray for these people and for the moral health of our nation.

"But he walked in the way of the kings of Israel; indeed he made his son pass through the fire, according to the abominations of the nations whom the LORD had cast out from before the children of Israel." 2 Kings 16:3 (NKJV)

"And they caused their sons and daughters to pass through the fire, practiced witchcraft and soothsaying, and sold themselves to do evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke Him to anger." 2 Kings 17:17 (NKJV)




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow....
I wonder if the police considered this guy was studying to "go nuclear" when they decided to detonate those bombs. ha.

Anyhow...I just read The Sin Eater. Have you seen the book version? I remember you talking about the movie, so I tried it. It was so enjoyable to read... rather unlike most books. I'm guessing it offered a lot the movie couldn't.

I've also looked at some of Randy Alcorn's stuff. Some was rather entertaining and informative, but I think he takes too much license with his descriptions of what it's going to be like after we die. He seems to have extrapolated a lot from the little that's offered in Scripture. Those parts of the stories I found myself just skipping over...I don't think I've ever done that with a book before. It didn't seem to have hurt the main story lines.
I'm going to have Christine read his "Dominion" as it's done from the perspective of a black man my age, and she can learn a lot about the experience and thinking society has brought about in that group of Americans. We "WASP's" have had no idea what it's been like for them.
She's also reading the Thoene series on WWII. For historical purposes this time. She read it for enjoyment a few years ago, and this time I'll be discussing European history with her, so I'm looking at them again, too. But she's got quite a head start on me...I'll never catch up at the rates she and I read!
Any interesting reads on your end?
bethanyrae

Rita T. said...

I haven't read "The Last Sin Eater" but the movie was fantastic. I keep thinking I'll read it sometime.

I just got "Lost Boy" today and I'm hoping to read it soon. It really looks interesting..is an autobiography by Greg Laurie. He's had quite a life and nothing but the grace of God could bring someone roundabout like that.
Rita