Saturday, May 10, 2008

Scientists of Faith

Did you know that many of the most well-known scientists throughout history were Christians? While I was aware of some of the scientists outlined in Scientists of Faith, (Dan Graves, published by Kregel Publications), I hadn't even heard of a great deal of them. I'm not sure if it's because I was educated in the public school system or if it's just because I'm not a real science nut!

One thing I do know is that in my studies with our five children, a lot of these names never came up in their science or history books. That's a shame.

Dan Graves has written a powerful book that jams 48 biographies
of these great scientists of faith into one volume. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about each scientist and his contributions to our world.


Each chapter quotes a Bible verse that pertains to the area of study in which the scientist specialized. Not every single bit of their lives are chronicled, of course, but enough of their FAITH is described to make them i
mportant to us as Christians.

I think it's important to teach our children (and ourselves) about the lives of these people so that we might not forget that God is behind science, not man. If we let faith slip by the wayside and try to separate it fro
m science, we'll make an exceptionally great error.

Let me encourage you to purchase this book as a supplement to your science curriculum. I don't think it's a volume that will just sit on your shelf to gather dust. At least mine won't.

No comments: