Sunday, May 04, 2008

As Unto the Lord

Hmmmm. This whole frugality thing has me thinking a lot these days. I've spent countless hours in the past month clipping coupons, making out meal menus and scanning ads for 3 different stores in order to make out 3 different grocery lists to take to those 3 different stores....ugh. I've also spent countless hours scanning other blogs in order to glean insight into how I can effectively reduce expenses since me getting an outside job is pretty much impossible right now (we have 1 car - there are no jobs here in town that I could walk to, much less drive to.)

As for income, I occasionally receive a check from a magazine or some other publication for articles or stories I've written. But that's pretty sparse. Editors are becoming frugal too. I take internet surveys and write Pay per Post blog entries occasionally too. How much money does that make me? Next to nil.

All of this info probably has nothing to do with what I'm about to say. Right now I'm frustrated. I see people everywhere frustrated because they want to stretch their dollar as far as they can, especially in these difficult times. There's something that's frustrating me more than rising costs and lower income, though. And that's what I want to talk about.

Many of the blogs that I've visited talk a lot about saving money/making money and they're thought provoking. Many of them are great places to visit to get ideas. But there are some that give me concern.

The Bible says that "what ever you eat, drink, or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:30-32

Am I watchful that I use coupons ethically? Or do I have the attitude that I deserve to get something for nothing and the stores owe it to me? Do I argue with cashiers about using a coupon that I think I should have a right to use even though the clerk says I can't use it for the purchase? Why not just humbly accept the decision and be a Christian witness, rather than another cantankerous shopper?

Am I watchful that I sign up for free samples only when I think it's a product that I might actually purchase in the future? Or do I have a greedy attitude that says I just want to get something for free, even if it's a bag of dog food and I have no pets? I could donate the dog food somewhere, but does that get my greedy attitude off the hook? Hmmm.

And a word about internet money making opportunities....am I careful that I don't sign up for anything and everything because it's supposed to make me money? Or do I understand that identity theft is a reality in this world and I should do my best to protect my family, even if that means not signing up with companies that are in McAfee's Site Advisor red zone? Added spyware and viruses can't really make up for all of the 25 cent offers I'm missing, can it?

I want to be a frugal mom and wife. I want to do the best for my family as I try to become a Proverbs 31 woman. But I want to do it the Lord's way, which is the best way. Please join me in being a responsible and honest shopper.

No comments: