Sunday, February 03, 2008

Verse 28

"Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also and he praises her." Proverbs 31:28 NIV

Hmmmm. I've been waiting for my children to rise and call me blessed for a long time. Actually, to rise means to have grown. They're not going to praise me and thank me for all of the wonderful things I've done for them until they've matured - spiritually as well as physically.

It's easy to give up and figure that all the work you've done as a mother has been for naught. I know first hand, and I have good kids by most people's standards. But there are those times when they are ungrateful and insolent. They say things that hurt your feelings. They aren't helpful around the house at times that you think they should be. They make mistakes and you wonder, "Didn't they learn anything during the 13 years I've spent slaving away homeschooling them?" Ok, maybe I'm the only one who says that last one.

The point is, they have to grow up. Pray for them daily and spend time with them. Show them that you love them regardless of how you perceive their love for you. At some point they'll realize what a wonderful mother you are, and they'll arise and call you blessed.

Now, as for the husband praising you, I'll have been married for 21 years in March and I have to say that I get frustrated on that point too. All in all though, I'd have to say that I'm realizing a bit of admiration and praise from my husband. I guess it comes with maturity also - or old age.

No comments: