Saturday, February 02, 2008

Natural Antiseptics

It's flu season - most of my family has it. So far the only person to escape is Ryan, age 9, who has asthma. I'm glad that he doesn't have the flu because it really complicates his breathing. I had called the doctor's office months earlier and they told me they were out of flu shots, so none of us got one. Jeff's business pays for flu shots so I really wish he'd gone to get one early in the year. Too late now; he's gone to work with the flu. Why work when you're sick? His company penalizes him when he takes a sick day - he's only allowed a whopping TWO sick days a year as it is. This could lead into a real rant on big business and how they treat their employees, but I think I'll let it rest for now.

What I really want to tell you about is this little calendar that my sister gave me. She got it from her doctor's office. It has a health tip for each month. February's happens to be about flu season! I don't usually buy Lysol or other chemical antiseptics to get rid of germs, but this calendar talks about NATURAL antiseptics, which I'm very interested in.

To make it: mix 30 drops of lavender or rosemary essential oils to 1 cup of water. Put it in a spray bottle and spritz surfaces twice a day to kill germs. It appears that rosemary and lavender oils were used during WWII as safe and effective antiseptics.

You can also use tea tree oil if you'd like, which is a strong natural antiseptic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The natural antiseptic sounds interesting. I like the idea of the lavender. It sounds like something I could use at my work on Mondays, where it's amazing how many parents drop off their sick kids for the day. I see runny noses, coughs, listlessness, crying, even stories of how sick they were at home before they came. However, on the good side, I only had 3 of 10 students this week, due to sickness. They probably all had the flu.
Thanks,
bethanyrae