Friday, January 04, 2008

Verse 25

Proverbs 31:25
Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come. (KJV)

I don't think I'm doing a very good job as it pertains to becoming a Proverbs 31 woman. Some of the thoughts previously pondered (see posts under "musings") are easy for me to brag about. For example, I DO work hard at supplying my family with food. I put out a LARGE garden each year and I can, freeze and dehydrate a humongous amount of it for winter use. I grace the table with home cooked meals from scratch the majority of the time. When we have takeout pizza I lament that I'm killing my family with junk filled with preservatives and unnatural stuff.

As far as clothing is concerned, I see to it that my family is well clothed even if that means that I go without, which I usually do. I'm typing this tonight in pajamas that I bought before my daughter (age 6) was born. They were on clearance at J C Penney so I paid something like $4 for them. Normally I wouldn't have splurged on something that frivolous - can you believe I'm calling flannel pj's frivolous? Yeah. Now I don't sew too well, but I've ventured to make Amanda some dresses as well as pillow cases for three of my sons. I can knit and crochet, though, and I've made certain that my family is warm for the winter.

So, with all of that bragging you'd think I do well. But here's where I slip up. I don't think I have strength and honor. I don't laugh at the days to come. I am fearful of the days to come to be more exact.

I'm weak. I worry about our finances, my children's future, my husband's (and kids') health. If I think someone doesn't like me, I worry about that. As I said, I'm weak.

The Bible says not to worry, for if God takes care of nature, won't He take care of me? I want to be strong. I'm praying for strength. I'm working at it because I know that if I don't exercise my body, it goes weak. If I don't exercise my mind, it goes weak. And if I don't exercise my faith, it too will go weak.

I think the honor part comes when others, and the Lord, see His strength made perfect in our weakness.

No comments: