Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Our Prayers

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time you've found out that I enjoy listening to Pastor John Courson's Bible studies. I've been going through the Revelation series for (gasp) nearly a year now, listening to mp3 recordings little by little, usually as I wash dishes. The other day I listened to the one concerning Revelation 8:1 "When he opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour." NIV

Pastor John actually spoke for nearly an hour just about this one verse! People have joked about the verse saying that it means there are no women in Heaven (and Pastor John repeats that) but that's just stupid. Other people have said that it means that what is going to happen next is unspeakable. But Pastor John has a different twist on the verse, based upon what is said before and after it.

According to Pastor John, this verse is concerning our prayers, as incense is spoken of throughout the Bible as being sweet smelling prayer to God. So God is, in essence, focusing completely on the prayers of the saints. The study is very good and it puts a whole new perspective on prayer for me. My prayers are important to God. He puts His full attention on what I have to say. Even though it might take what I think is forever for my prayers to be answered, they do get answered and God doesn't forget them.

Remember the slain who are under the throne crying out, "How long until You avenge our blood?" God does things in His own time, and at that time it's all done perfectly by a Holy God.

If you're interested in hearing any of John Courson's sermons, click on the link under "hot links" on the sidebar.

No comments: