Thursday, November 08, 2007

The Mist

Have you watched the trailers for The Mist by Stephen King yet? A couple of years ago Jeff and I rented The Secret Window starring Johnny Depp, another of Stephen King's thrillers. Johnny Depp was a writer in that movie who insisted that some mysterious "cowboy" type was complaining that Depp plagiarized his mystery. I can still hear him say, "You stole my story." The story kept me on edge throughout the entire movie, seeming to be so real and I guess that's why it intrigued me so much. Then at the end I found out that Johnny Depp's character was... well I don't want to spoil it for you if you've never seen it.

Needless to say, Mr. King has a way with weaving suspense and fright into a complex and well thought out story. After watching the trailers for The Mist I thought I might actually like to watch this one too. I probably wouldn't want to see it late at night before going to bed, though!

It appears that in this story there are some sort of alien type creatures in a mist that come over this town. A Bible toting woman wants to offer a blood sacrifice so that the creatures will leave and she demands the life, then, of a young boy. Hmmmm.

Well, if any of you see the movie when it comes out (November 21 in theaters), let me know what you think.


3 comments:

Delaney said...

Hmmm... a scary movie.... I don't like Steven King at all. I read one of his "comic books" and hated it through and through. I saw the previews for the movie with Johnny Depp in it. As much as I like Johnny Depp, I was scared of the preview so I don't think I'll see the movie ;) haha if you couldn't tell, I'm not one for scary/suspense filled movies.
God bless,
Christine

Anonymous said...

I'm getting the impression you're looking at this as a fellow writer would. I would merely be a spectator. And I can think of way too many things I'd rather be doing than watching this one. ha
bethanyrae

Rita T. said...

Yes, I would watch this as a writer trying super hard to understand just HOW Stephen King plots and weaves his stories. For entertainment purposes, I love to watch light and fluffy. For research purposes, complex really interests me.
RT