Monday, August 06, 2007

Verse 15

"She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls." Proverbs 31:15 (NIV)

This verse speaks to me about the importance of ambition in life. The wise woman gets up early; she doesn't waste time sleeping in until all hours of the day. Sometimes I feel so tired in the morning that I have trouble getting up. I'm usually up by 8 a.m., but that seems late with all that I have to get done during the day. Here's my problem: I stay up really late at night working on my story and reading that I have trouble getting up at 4 a.m. to get my husband up. I think I do that only half-asleep...I don't know why he can't wake himself up, but that's probably a whole different story. Anyway, I stay up until about midnight, get Jeff up at 4 a.m., then wake up at or before 8 a.m. I try to function all day long, but I'm so sleepy that I have to have a coffee, a pop, or both. Now that I'm hooked on those expensive Monster Java drinks, I'm a zombie without one. I don't drink them every day though....now I'm really getting offtrack.

Being ambitious is more than just getting to bed early and rising early. It's really about wanting to make something out of the blip of life that we have here on earth. I think it's about making a difference for OTHER PEOPLE, not myself. The Proverbs 31 woman not only gets up early, she provides for her family AND her servant girls. Am I enterprising enough that I take care of my family first, but then reach out to meet other's needs? Do I even care?

These are thoughts to think about. As we work and associate with others here on earth, let's learn to work TOGETHER for the good of OTHERS.

No comments: