Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Verse 3



Proverbs 31:3 says:
"do not spend your strength on women, your vigor on those who ruin kings." (NIV)


Hmmmm. What can I say about this one? With three teenage boys and hormones running wild in our house I guess this verse rings with meaning here.

I don't think this verse is telling men that they shouldn't marry or desire women; rather I think it's probably saying that to spend all of your time, all of your money, all of your heart on women is not wise. A boy needs to learn early in life that a woman isn't going to satisfy his every need, even as men don't satisfy a woman's every need. God alone is sufficient. The apostle Paul spent a lot of time telling men and women that to marry is good, but to remain single and depend on God to fulfill their desires is better.

As I strive to raise boys I am reminded that their one goal in life should be to please God. If that means they should marry, my prayer is that they each marry someone who loves the Lord and will be a helpmeet, not someone who is "me" centered and will lead them astray.

No comments: