Monday, August 14, 2017

Book Review - The Beloved Hope Chest by Amy Clipston


The Beloved Hope Chest is written by Amy Clipston and is published by Zondervan.

Every now and then I get in the mood to read a good Amish story. This is the second fiction book in a row in that genre that I have read - and enjoyed. In The Beloved Hope Chest, Amy Clipston has woven a touching and slightly mysterious tale that kept my attention through to the end.

The bulk of the book is a flashback, told in the viewpoint of Mattie Fisher. Mattie relates to her three daughters the story behind a lock of hair and a baby's onesie that is kept in Mattie's hope chest. She tells her girls of heartache and pain that she went through, pain that was kept a secret from the daughters until now.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story because it openly and honestly reveals that anguish doesn't afflict a select few. The Amish are not immune and neither are we. The story is well written and the main characters well developed. I think there is even a lesson in there of which we can learn.

*I received a copy of The Beloved Hope Chest in exchange for my honest opinion. My thoughts are my own.*

No comments: