Monday, February 27, 2017

Menu Plan Monday - February 27



So far, my family HAS noticed the WFPB (whole foods plant based) meals I have tried to slip in from time to time. I am trying to cut animal products from our menus as much as I can, but to no avail - yet. I truly feel that the animal proteins are very hard on the body and can cause disease.

Since eliminating much of it from my own diet, I can say that I am feeling better every day. Last year at this time, I was rapidly losing weight and feeling dizzy most of the time. I went to the doctor to be diagnosed with a bad virus. Well, I just kept getting worse and the doctor decided it was not a virus. I underwent some tests and had no tumors but LOTS of acid reflux. I balked at taking medication but decided to go with it because, after having my belly pressed with the ultrasound, I found that the burning and nausea was unbearable. Before that, I had experienced no burning but did have some pain under my left arm that I thought, at the time, was either stress or even mild heart attacks.

So.....it is a year later and I am still on medication. The burning is there at times, but the dizzy spells are pretty much gone. I do have a "lump" in my belly that the doctor says is the duoendum (the part of the stomach going to the small intestines) filling with bubbly gas. I believe that to be so, because at those times it feels hard, I burp a lot and feel the burning. And it is always an hour or two after eating. Once four or five hours have passed, I feel great.

So, how did I get to this point even though I felt I was eating healthy? After all, I was thin, followed all of the diets that now claim we need lots of fat in our diets (which I now believe to be false), and even did some exercise? I think it was the fat I was consuming in the form of "healthy fats". I ate lots of avocados, coconut oil, and even fat from animal products, all deemed to be necessary by the latest "experts". I had even considered, before I got sick, putting our family on a Paleo diet. They would have loved it, but I don't think their bodies would have.

By this time next year, I hope to be off of the GERD medication and controlling my condition via a WFPB diet. If the rest of the family won't come with me now, they might in the future when they see how far I've come (from a sickly 85 pounds to a healthy and glowing 100 pounds - I'm only 5 feet and small boned).

My plan for the week includes plant based dishes, but my husband insists I put meat on the table as well.

Monday

Pot Roast with Vegetables
*Vegetable Stew over Spaghetti Squash
Homemade Biscuits
Cake & Ice-cream

Tuesday

Baked Ham
Mashed Potatoes
Roasted Beets, Carrots, & Onion

Wednesday

Left-over Ham
Scalloped Potatoes
Baked Beans

Thursday

BBQ Ribs
Steamed Potatoes
Salads

Friday

Pizza & Pop 
(I make my pizza without cheese and it's good)

Saturday

Hamburgers
Bean Burgers
Baked Potatoes
Applesauce

Sunday

On Your Own


To make Veggie Stew, I put a quart of pureed pumpkin or squash, a little crushed dehydrated kale, chopped onion, and some black eyed peas in a slow cooker with whatever vegetables I have on hand. This week it is snap peas, green beans, and carrots. Season with salt and pepper (and garlic if you don't have acid reflux). You could add additional herbs and seasonings to your preference. Cook on low until the vegetables are tender. Only add water or vegetable broth if it is too thick and you're worried about scorching. This is wonderful as a thick "sauce" over cooked spaghetti squash.

No comments: