Monday, October 08, 2012

Menu Plan Monday - October 8





How has your week been? My husband and I did something interesting on Saturday – we went to a swap meet. Just what is a swap meet, you might ask? Well, a swap meet is a place where different animal breeders bring their animals to sell. They often buy there as well. We brought Lady Amherst Pheasants that my husband and daughter hatched and raised. I have to say that it was a different experience and one that I didn’t particularly enjoy to a great extent. What I did enjoy, however, was the trip there and back without any children – it was quiet and we could actually hear each other.

This week’s menu includes some recipes from a book I borrowed from a Mel Cat loaning library, Seasoned with Grace: My Generation of Shaker Cooking by Eldress Bertha Lindsay. I have always known that the Shakers were famous for their quality furniture, but I did not know that they were also great cooks. They lived in a community setting in which all of the Brothers and Sisters did things as a community, including cooking and eating. One thing I noticed right away is that their recipes include lots and lots of meat, cream, and sugar.

Here’s what is on the menu for this week (you’ll notice that Saturday is another swap meet):

Monday

Chuck Steaks on the Grill
Baked Potatoes
Sweet Corn
Cornbread Muffins

Tuesday

Vegetable Pie with Rice Crust (Seasoned with Grace, pg. 25)
Roasted Butternut Squash
Stir-fried Veggies
Strawberry/Mango Smoothies

Wednesday

Soft Tacos (rice shells)
Salads
Spanish Rice
Maine Blueberry Pie (Seasoned with Grace, pg. 92)

Thursday

Pork Chops
Mashed Potatoes
Savory Green Beans
Salads

Friday

Pizza and Pop
Chocolate Pudding

Saturday

Swap Meet – Eat Out?

Sunday

On Your Own

No comments: