Monday, May 07, 2012

Menu Plan Monday - May 7, 2012

I can't believe how fast time is flying. Can you? We are going to see my mother for Mother's Day, so I have not made up a menu for Saturday or Sunday. We will eat take-out pizza for our traditional pizza & pop night, as we will be on the road and heading south. Of course, I will have to make up a gluten-free pizza or have something different for me. Not sure yet.....

If you've been following my blog for any length of time, you will notice that I am very interested in natural health products and processes (including avoiding such things as x-rays, etc.) I am gluten-free not by choice, but by the demands of my intolerant body. I am close to being a vegetarian, though I occasionally give in to a burger or something likewise unhealthy. I am intrigued by the vegan diet and would love to go that direction. However, I cannot because our budget just won't allow for tons of meat (I have a family of carnivores) and fresh fruits and veggies in abundance. I do what I can with what I have, which isn't all that bad. 

I have lost more than 40 lbs. over the past year by eating as healthy as I can. I do NOT starve myself. If you saw the amount of food I eat each day you'd be shocked. Vegetables and fruits (unsweetened) help one to lose weight as they eat more and more of them. Make sense? Not really, but it does the job while packing nutrients into your bloodstream.

As I researched foods and health plans last year, I really took a good look at soy and soy products. Soy is supposed to be healthy, right? Well, the jury is still out on that one. It appears that while soybeans have lots isoflavins and other good stuff, it's not perfect. Soy is a complete protein, so vegetarians and vegans love it. It also contains those heart-healthy omega 3's.

There is a downside to soy. The soy that is used in everything from soybean oil to jarred spaghetti sauce to TVP (textured vegetable protein) is processed with - gasp - benzine. Benzine is a dangerous chemical that is known to cause cancer. When you're eating soy processed with benzine, you're ingesting cancer causing food that shouldn't be called food.

People: It's time to prepare your food yourself! Grow it yourself, preserve it yourself, cook it yourself. In doing so, you will know what is in it. And you can feel good about feeding it to your family.

Here's the plan for our week. ** Denotes a gluten-free food.

Monday

Barbecued Pork Sandwiches
Oatmeal Cake with Chocolate Glaze

Tuesday

Spaghetti with Hamburger
Green Bean Casserole
**Fruit

 Wednesday

**Ham Slices
**Strawberry/Mango Smoothies (with flax)

Thursday

**Cheese Enchiladas (make with corn tortillas)
**Garden Salads
**Salsa

Friday

Pizza & Pop
**Fast Cookies (recipe below)

Saturday - Sunday 

We don't know yet.


Fast Cookies

1/3 cup agave nectar
1/4 tsp. maple flavoring (make sure gluten-free)
1/3 cup almond or coconut milk
scant 1/4 cup carob powder (or cocoa)
3 TBSP no sugar added all-natural peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats

Put agave nectar, maple flavoring, milk and carob into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for three minutes. Add peanut butter and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and add vanilla and oats. Form into small cookies when cool enough to handle. Makes about 8 cookies.

No comments: